Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Number one!

On the first day of class, I learned that the earth is an open and closed system. It is an open system in regards to energy and a closed system in regards to material. I found that this is how people are as well. By thinking this way it allowed me to better understand the systems theory. I think that people are like an open system because we take many things from other people and those things effect who we are and what we become. Open systems work this way as well. The earth takes energy from the sun which allows it to maintain all of it's necessary functions. If people were not open systems then we would never learn from each other . We are also a closed system because some people can be very private and keep to themselves without sharing with the world.

Another thing that I thought about after class that I had heard about in lectures was the Tropics. In class I learned that at the Tropic of Capricorn (25.5 degrees south) the days are often long at a specific time of year. I went to the Caribbean over the summer and it was very warm but, I did not notice whether the days seemed longer than what I was used to. Actually, i really was not paying attention to the days at all; however, if I went back again I would pay more attention to some of the geographic principles that i have now learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment