Monday, April 19, 2010

Volcanoes

I have been to Hawaii a number of times however, I have not been to the Big Island. The Big Island is where a great number of active volcanoes are. The Volcano Disaster Assistance Program was started in order to help those who have been hurt by volcanoes. Volcanoes have killed 29,000 people, which in the long span of things does not seem like a lot. But for volcanoes which there are not a lot of it kind of is. I am very interested in volcanoes because there are still a lot that are active. Those active ones are extremely dangerous and scientists can not be completely accurate when predicting when the next eruption will be. Something else that I am concerned with is earthquakes. Earthquakes are common in California. They are especially common in Southern California which is where I am moving next year. Understanding why earthquakes occur will help me be less scared about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment